Prices continue to rise on organic beauty products, and as an independent graduate student my wallet cannot keep up! So I took it upon myself to do research on simple DIY beauty products that can help both save the planet and my bank account.
I was blown away at all the tips and tricks for organic DIY products, but what blew me away the most is how easy some of them are to make and to incorporate into your daily routines! For example, the simple act of making coffee can give you both your morning energy boost, and the boost your skin needs to be radiant and healthy. Which is why I’ve started saving my coffee grounds and making my very own CBD Coffee Scrub, which is both safe to be applied to my face and body.
So before we get started on how you can make your own simple coffee scrub as well, lets first review some of the amazing benefits to applying coffee to your skin.
- ECO FRIENDLY + SUSTAINABLE OPTION: Not only is it an incredibly cheap and sustainable option if you are a regular brewed coffee drinker, but it also limits plastic container waste (and contains no damaging micro-beads that are found in many skin products and exfoliants).
- HELPS WITH CELLULITE REDUCTION: It is believed that the caffeine content in coffee is one of the keys to cellulite reduction as it dilates blood vessels beneath the skin and improves overall blood flow, in turn decreasing the appearance of cellulite.
- IS PACKED WITH ANTIOXIDANTS FOR CALMING EFFECTS: Even though we usually ingest coffee for its stimulating effects, it appears that it may provide the opposite effect when applied topically due to all the antioxidants!
- ANTI-AGING BENEFITS: Its not news that numerous studies have been conducted on the correlation between drinking coffee and decreasing photoaging effects. But did you know that applying coffee topically can also decrease signs of aging such as the appearance if sun spots, redness and fine lines.
- PACKED WITH B-3 FOR PREVENTING SKIN CANCER: Coffee is known for being a rich source of vitamin B3 due to the breakdown of a key compound called trigonelline. According to Health Line and the Skin Cancer Foundation, trigonelline breaks down into niacin (B-3) after coffee beans have been roasted which may be helpful in preventing nonmelanoma skin cancers and can possibly prevent other skin growths as well.
- SIGNIFICANTLY REDUCES INFLAMMATION: Coffee contains chlorogenic acid and melanoidins, which has been linked to reducing hyperpigmentation that may be connected to inflammation (Health Line)
- TREATMENT FOR ACNE: The regular use of topical coffee could help combat numerous harmful bacterias on the skin as the clorogenic acids carry both anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties. Combined with the additional exfoliation of coffee grounds, these benefits collectively work together to fight stubborn acne!
- TREATS STUBBORN DARK CIRCLES AND EYE PUFFINESS: According to Beverly Hills MD Cosmeceuticals, coffee grounds also can treat stubborn dark circles under the eyes due to the caffeine content in coffee dilating blood vessels that contribute to dark circles.
- OFFERS AFTER SUN CARE: Its believed that the same anti-aging benefits from coffee can also be used for post-sun after care! Gently apply coffee grinds (without rubbing in) or diluted coffee to the burnt area can give you both pain relief, faster healing time, and much less peeling!
THE STEPS TO MAKING YOUR OWN COFFEE SCRUB AND FACE MASK ARE SIMPLE!
- First, start by brewing coffee! I use a French Press, which makes collecting the grounds afterwards as easy as 1-2-3
- After the grounds cool down, empty them into a glass container that can be properly closed.
- This step is where you can play around a bit. It is recommended that you also dilute the coffee grounds with Coconut Oil. For added benefits, I’ve mixed pure Coconut Oil that contains non-psychoative CBD Cannabidiol for the added benefits. I purchase my organic CBD Coconut Oil (which is safe for topical and internal use) from www.birchandfog.com ( use my code EMMY for $20 dollars off your first Canadian order!! ) If only being applied to body, its good to also add brown sugar for additional exfoliating effects!
- mix mix mix mix
- apply to face or body, let sit for 10+ minutes, then wash off!
- Repeat as much as you’d like!
- also, if you have specific wants out of this homemade product research all of the different ways you can mix up this recipe and make your own version of a coffee scrub!
LOVE YOUR SKIN
@omnibotanicals @birchandfogcanada promo: EMMY at checkout for $20 off